27 January 2014

Ripples

Throw a stone into a pond and the ripples spin slowly out to the edges in almost continuous circles. The same thing happens when we make eye contact with someone passing by and say 'hello'.

This simple common courtesy forms an important part of our social learning at Peregian Springs State School. My hope is that all staff model it, all parents take the lead and that all children join in and make it part of their social habits - just like 'please' and 'thank you'.

As Principal I try to get out in the playground in the mornings or in the car park in the afternoon and take the time to acknowledge the presence of children, to say hello and have a chat about whatever comes up. I love how kids eyes light up when you notice them - even the older boys who look as if they wish the ground would swallow them (or me) when I pass them hold their heads a bit higher and walk more jauntily (if that's possible with some of them!) to class.

Some kids - most in fact - will walk alongside me chatting about their weekend, their hair, my hair, what they saw someone do in the car park, my dress, the colour of my toe nails, the fact that Dad has gone away to work, and what Mum did on the way to school - not much passes their scrutiny (and there's not much privacy either)!

And why is this important? It's because even a small acknowledgement can be all a child needs to influence their day; that one small ripple that flows over their sense of self can change their day in the classroom and change how they interact with every person they meet that day. For some children it might be their only positive acknowledgement of the morning. They may have been around people, but that doesn't mean anyone has shown any interest in them or has taken the time to slow down, look in their face and wish them a good day.

Taking this time with more than 800 children will be my challenge this year and I'd love every parent, family member, staff member and student to help. Let's all slow down and smile and acknowledge each other every day. Here's to a wonderful 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment