20 July 2013

Cherish your time with them

It's that time of the year again. The mid-year uni holidays are over and there is a flurry of bag packing going on in our house. Maddie goes back to her college tomorrow and launches herself back into her studies on Monday. For the past four weeks the house has been full of peals of laughter, clothes and books everywhere, wet dive gear hanging from every available place, phones ringing and buzzing constantly, mountains of washing, doors slamming, and cries of 'Mum - there's no food in the fridge' and 'Dad - I'm going out, can I have 50 bucks ...please, PLEASE...?'.

I love it. I love it when she's home. I miss her being little so much. I miss Swim Club and competitions, weekends away and children's birthday parties. I miss her holding my hand during shopping on Saturday and kids' movies. I miss morning cuddles in bed - actually that still happens but it's a bit like trying a cuddle a young racehorse these days - not quite the same!

Ironically, when she was little I craved 'me time', and now I wish for more 'her time'. Over the last few weeks I've met with many of my teachers who have young children, to discuss and plan their teaching responsibilities for next year. They all bemoan the juggling, the rushing, the lack of time and the worry they can't give to their jobs all they would like to. But this is a fact of life - and even when they've grown up, you are still juggling - it's just that the balls are bigger and fewer and further apart.
Photo courtesy of Jenn Huls Photography


Time goes so fast; children grow up so fast - as I walk through the school in the mornings and see our Preps from 2010, now galloping towards the end Year 3, I can't believe it. Soon I'll be shaking their hands as they go off to high school.

So cherish your time with your children; give them another hug or play another game when you are craving 'me time' - it goes so fast and before you know it they will be away out of the door carving their own lives. And when that happens make sure you have a fridge full of food, a laundry cupboard full of washing detergent and a wallet full of fifty dollar notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment