14 July 2013

First day in a new school

When I was about eight years old Mum and Dad decided to pack up and move to Australia - it was one of those 'now or never' moments as the last ten pound tickets to Australia were about to be sold and emigrating to the land of opportunity was going to become a whole lot more difficult.

The process took about a year and in that time of uncertainty I attended many different primary schools. I hated it - I hated the change, I hated leaving friends I'd just made, I hated the new school's ways of doing things, I didn't like some of the teachers much, the work seemed to get harder and I was all 'at sea' before we even boarded the boat to Australia. I'm not sure why but every second change I cried and fretted and didn't want to go. I used to tell myself that it was good I was crying at this change as the next change would be easier. And I still remember so keenly how it feels to be the 'new kid' - and especially one with an accent.

We take special care with our new children at Peregian Springs - even after nearly four years all children remember how it felt to be new. The processes we put in place in 2010 are still the same now and when I take a new child to a classroom on their first day my heart is in my mouth worrying about how they will be received and whether there will be a group of children who will embrace them and help them settle.

Last week I watched many classes where nearly every child warmly welcomed the 'new kids' and 'fought' to be picked to look after them for the week - we have a whole school full of warm, friendly kids - and when they reach out to our new children in this way, I could hug them. Being eight years old and all alone in a new school is not so far in my memory that it doesn't stir up dread and fear... And when our Little Springers make new friends with children just joining us, I can walk back to my office smiling and happy that our new enrolments are in safe hands.


2 comments:

  1. We immigrated from South Africa at the beginning of the second term this year and our biggest concern was the happiness of our almost-6-year old. Both hubby and I had to fight the tears when she was introduced to the class and when the teacher asked who would like to be her friend all the hands eagerly went up. That definitely turned one of the potentially most difficult days into one of our favourites. Thank you, Peregian Springs State School for being the soft landing our daughter needed!

    ReplyDelete