09 May 2014

Happy Mother's Day

Some of you will know I'm a mother - a very proud one!

I remember when Maddie was born, looking down at her on the birthing cushion and thinking 'oh my, look what I've done'. The only other time I have felt that way was the day our school opened and all the children came streaming in the gate on that first day.

Even now I look her as an adult and marvel on how her childhood and young adulthood is panning out. She went off to Thailand for the university holidays last year and worked as a dive master for three months. Of course, I went to visit her and spent days on the boats watching her working. As she hosted 30+ holiday makers, organised the dive staff, paid the marine park fees, bossed the Captain and boat boys around, sorted out passenger problems, dealt with sea sick kids, jumped in the water with her own divers, and then made sure everyone got back to their hotel safe and sound, I kept wondering 'who is that young woman?'

There's a lot said these days about mothers and 'me time'. I've never been a fan of 'me time'. The best use of 'me time' is always to spend it with my daughter. I relish every minute with my child and always have. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I had four!

I remember the day she moved to college and started uni - I was completely bereft and thought my heart would break. I'm getting better at 'me time' now!

The other day I was listening to little Jude chattering away to his Dad in the other office. I emailed Dave and told him how I loved listening to Jude talking to him in the afternoons. He emailed back and said 'Yes, Jude has an interesting take on life and I need to stop and listen to him more'.

To all mothers everywhere - have a wonderful Mother's Day. Enjoy and make the most of the time with your children. They grow up so fast and are gone making their own way in the world before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment