16 August 2014

There's something remarkable going on...

A couple of weeks ago I posted on our school's Face Book page that some of our teachers are becoming voracious bloggers. One has been blogging a long while and the other has just discovered it as a tool for learning and collaborating and feeding his excitement. The second blog is a collaborative effort and both teachers hope to get a remarkable bunch of students writing and collaborating with them.

They both have remarkable students in their classes - in fact we have remarkable students in every class. Many of them are waiting politely to show how remarkable they are. And their chance is about to come...

While I was swanning around Europe watching the World Cup in Berlin and swimming with sharks in Scotland (I'll include a photo - I still can't believe I did this...), Chris and Pete were cooking up a storm and scribbling on whiteboards, planning and plotting for the build of a Remarkable Room and what would happen in there. I knew what they were up to - in between soccer games and deep dives I was reading their blog. So I waited, and then on Friday I was summoned to come and see what they want to do.

It's big, it's great, it's going to have an impact on all of our students as we start to turn the learning process upside down and concentrate on imagination, innovation and investigation, and less on rote learning small units of content and skills.

Their planning looked like this...
Yes, I tried hard not to look horrified...

There was some writing in recognisable text which I was very happy with - these two are clever enough to recognise the parameters I would put around their project. But there's not too many. You can't put parameters around learning that is this exciting and extensive.

Our kids are in for a remarkable treat. I can't wait...

A Scottish basking shark 8m long

No comments:

Post a Comment