01 February 2019

Learning is a conversation

As a little girl I loved nothing more than lining up my dolls, stuffed toys and friends and playing 'school'. I read them books, set assignments, wrote on my chalkboard and gave them maths tests. When I first started teaching in the early 1980s my classroom wasn't too different from this! I was often at the front presenting all the information. I assigned the projects and I determined how to mix up the instruction. I always connected with my students personally but I didn't teach them as individuals.

Early in my career I attended some amazing professional development in early literacy (ELIC) and for the first time learned how to develop flexibility in classroom environments and lessons with each and every individual learner in mind. No longer was there a 'one size fits all approach'. I thought about how students learn best, how to give them voice and choice, and how to present a menu of options including collaborative work in groups, independent work, working closely with me as the teacher or a combination. Learning became a conversation with each child and achievement soared; so did engagement and social literacy.

These days our teachers at Peregian Springs State School are absolute masters of this way of teaching. Learning is preparation for life. It's relevant to children's needs. It's enjoyable and engaging. And children are achieving so much more than my dolls ever did!

This week tiny Year 1 students presented their work for feedback at lunch time all around the school. They discussed what they've been doing, what they've learned already in the first three days of the school year and what they will do next in their classrooms with students from other year levels, passing teachers and me - so impressive! There were smiles, use of great language and pride in their work.

Learning is a constant conversation and these Year 1s are certainly having it!



No comments:

Post a Comment